Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Bad News, Good News

Thursday morning (my computer is still on Phoenix time, so it reads "Wednesday")

So I think I got pickpocketed over the last few days.  That's bad.  But the only think missing was my Cash Passport -- the updated version of Travelers' Checks.  They're basically cash-loaded debit cards, but the security is killer and the replacement time is minimal.  And that's good.

I figure I was in a hurry, so I put my cash card short side up in the slot for cards in my purse, so it stuck up a little further than the others -- you know, so I could get to the card more easily if I wanted to buy more stuff.  Anyway, I figure my purse was open just enough for someone to reach in and slip the card out.  We've been warned they're slick here in Paris, but when your purse is around your neck, you kinda feel invincible.

So this morning, I'm looking to gather my stuff up and I have my credit card & my driver's license (don't want to carry around my passport and my license seems to be working just fine for identification), got my cash, got my......oops.  Where's my cash card?  And after about 10 minutes I realized it was gone.  Maybe I lost it -- I'm still not convinced I didn't, but it's gone.

So that's when the security clicks in.  When you buy these things.  They give you 2 -- primary & secondary.  Each has a unique number and a unique passcode.  I called up the number on the back (at last!!!  the phone I purchased for use in Europe, which I haven't really been using at all, worked!), got an operator who was able to look up my account using the card number from the secondary card, I was able to answer the security questions, she was able to verify that my other card hadn't been used and when I started to say "maybe I just lost it, blah blah", she was able to cut me off with a perfectly fine British accent "well, whatever, that card's now been deactivated."

My secondary card is good to go, my lesson has been learned and my money is intact.  Cash Passports -- don't leave home without them.

Off to Normandy today.  2 hour train ride, an afternoon tour and a late train back.  And I have money!!!

1 comment:

  1. So glad all is well in spite of an alarming discovery!

    ReplyDelete