Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Officially Tuesday.....

We did a LOT today.  We decided to explore the area around Big Ben & Parliament and Westminster Abby and walk to Buckingham Palace and just soak up the London atmosphere.  London is very cool, but strange because as we all know, they drive on the wrong side of the wrong.  This means that when you're from another country and you're crossing the street, you're probably looking the wrong way to see if cars are coming.  You look to your left, correct?  and if you're in London and look to your left, you think it's all clear because no cars are coming at you.  That's because THEY'RE COMING FROM THE OTHER SIDE!!!!  AAAAAAHHHH!!!!! 

So the Brits, being as accommodating as they are, but not wanting to march in lock stop with the rest of world and change what side of the road they drive on, found the perfect compromise by painting these signs just off the curb to remind you where you should be looking:


Still I can't help but wonder how many tourists died before they decided they'd better do something.

So okay, you know what Big Ben looks like and I know what Big Ben looks like, so here's my artsy fartsy take on it.  I think it's kinda cool.  I may even frame this one when I get home. 
 


Likewise, we all know what Buckingham Palace looks like, so here's a different take on it.  A fellow Douglass graduate told me to check out the locks on the gates at Buckingham, instead of just looking through the gate, like everyone else.  So thanks to her, we did!  First we had to take our comic shot -- inspired by two young tourist guys who did this as we approached the gates. 





But here is a sample handle and a sample lock.  Each one is different, each one is cooler than the one before it:




As we approached Buckingham Palace, the threatening skies opened up and we got caught in some heavy rain.  No biggie.  We're from Phoenix and we LOVE unique experiences, like walking in the rain with umbrellas.  So strange, this experience known as rain.  But that's what vacations are about -- unique experiences.  But pity these poor folk -- obviously high class, invited to an event inside Buckingham Palace.  They get to dress up and go inside!!  Now that's cool.  Except they get totally drenched in the same rain we were experiencing while the guards check their credentials and make sure they're on the up and up. 

The rain didn't last long and we were on our way, none the worse for wear.  But these guys had to look cool at whatever event they were attending, even while they were wet.  oy!

Three years ago, when we visited Spain, we discovered the wonder of good olives and really really good olive oil.  This time around, I have discovered MUSTARD!! 

Walking from Buckingham Palace over to Piccadilly Circus,  we passed this exquisite shop that sells nothing but mustard!  It is called "Maille" and the product has been around since 1747 when the first store opened in Paris.  The maker was the official supplier of Louis XV, Queen Victoria, King William IV of England and many others.

Today, it has 3 stores:  London, Dijon (hmmmm) & Paris.  And they have just gotten the go-ahead to open a store in the US, but alas in New York City and not Phoenix.  Their mustard is to die for good and so I now have a jar of mustard with Chablis & truffles, mustard with pistachio and orange, mustard with fennel & basil and the clerk threw in a free mustard with gingerbread and chestnut honey.  I also got 3 small jars of mustard with apricots, basil & black currants.  Oh my!  I'll have to find room in my suitcase to fit these jars in, but I will even if I have to throw out every stitch of clothing I brought over (okay, all my clothes with the except of one blouse I love).  And then I will have a mustard extravaganza in my kitchen.  I'm not sure what I'll do with them, but I'll do something.

This evening, we attended a performance by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Apparently there are a lot of different Philharmonic what-have-yous:  the orchestra, symphony, the Royal Philharmonic, etc etc.  This orchestra was excellent and had a lot of very young musicians playing.  As we were leaving, we spotted the young oboist (like I don't think he's started to shave yet) who knocked his solo in Bizet's Symphony in C out of the park standing with his friends.  So we went over and congratulated him.  I know how swell it feels after a choir performance to have people tell me they enjoyed it, so I paid it forward.  He was a nice young man.  He's gonna be an even more killer oboist.


Official step count from Fitbit for Tuesday, June 3:  21,966.  Oh let's call it an official 22,000.  At this rate, will I make it to 100,000 before I leave the UK?  I don't know, but I do know that 4 1/2 months of parking in the farthest spot at school and strapping weights to my ankles has paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment