Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Our London home

So let me tell you of our Airbnb apartment.  A fun mum, Joanne & her great 10-year old kid, Ben who live in a small flat in a centrally-located section of London.  It's in easy walking distance to everything -- the Eye, Big Ben, the British Museum, and some great cafes.  And what isn't in walking distance is reachable because we're also only a 10 minute walk from the nearest Underground station.

The apartment is tiny, but our bed is a nice queen-sized (not as easy to find as I thought on the web site), comfy and warm.  We all get along nicely and it's a fun place to spend a week.  Joanne is a great source of information about London.  Yesterday, she made pancakes from scratch.  They were thin and tasty like crepes and about 8" in diameter.  This morning, we had a variety of English sausages, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, all sautéed into one delicious dish.  Oh my.

Ben is a great source of information on all things Doctor Who.  When he heard I was a fan, he spent breakfast asking me trivia questions and we talked about our favorite episodes.  He gifted me this: 

 
Yeah, that's right.  A Donna Noble Action Figure.  She will occupy a place of honor on the bookshelf in my room.  Coolest Companion evah, in my humble opinion.  I still haven't forgiven Russell T. Davies for the fate he gave her of forgetting everything she experienced with the Doctor. 
 
But I digress.  Back to Joanne & Ben and the 3rd member of their family.  This is Snuffles:
 
 
He is the 2-year old bunny who spends his time pushing a large ball around his cage and watching the goings-on from his perch (his cage is about 3 1/2 feet off the ground.  Snuffles also gets to run around the house and he's often taken outside for additional exercise.  He's getting used to the company.  One morning, he actually stood up on his back legs and put his front paws on my knee.  This evening, he took up residence under the bed in our room and wouldn't come out until Ben crawled underneath there and forced him out.
 
It's a fine way to start a vacation and really get into the character of the city & the neighborhood. 

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I am not a Doctor Who fan, but I am a Catherine Tate fan, so I am supremely jealous of your gift. What a cool experience to be with locals, including their pet "wabbit."

    ReplyDelete